Monday, August 13, 2018

The dissertation process and special education administrator's understanding of adapted physical education

Hello APE podcast listeners/readers! This post/podcast is different than most, as I made a post/podcast that focused on my experience of going through the dissertation process and the investigation I conducted for my dissertation. Within this short podcast episode I discuss how I chose my dissertation topic and what it meant for me to complete my PhD program. 

My dissertation investigation consisted of developing three validated podcast and delivering them to 29 special education administrators throughout the state of Texas. The special education administrators had to complete a pretest, post test, and retention test on APE content. In addition the participants completed a  perceptions survey on each podcast they listened too and on the whole intervention. After the investigation was completed, there were several interesting findings:

- The podcast, as a single intervention, appeared to have little impact on special education administrators' knowledge of APE

- Special education administrators have very positive views on podcast as a professional development tool

- Special education administrators had very low test scores (< 50%). This was apparent across all three test.

The dissertation findings led to the conclusion that more research is needed to better understand how to utilize podcasts as a professional development tool, as well as special education administrators are in need of targeted professional development with regard to APE content. I hope to continue researching how to develop high quality APE professional development and podcasting. Please click the link to the dissertation defense presentation PowerPoint for further details on my dissertation findings. 







In addition, here is a link to a free webinar I recently conducted with a focus on APE and assistive technology for the Center on Assistive Technology and Disability (CTD). Also check out CTD website for other free webinars on the topic of assistive technology!